Wednesday, July 31, 2013

"We come to love not by finding a perfect person but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly." – Sam Keen


Given that, this week marks my 11th wedding anniversary with my husband, I reckoned it was a good time to talk marriage.  I’m clearly not a relationship expert but I feel I’ve earned my stripes and can speak on the subject with some knowledge or at least tell you my perspective.  This year my husband and I will have been together nearly half of our lives, 18 years to be exact (as I tap it out on the keys, I still can’t believe we’re that old).  Certain days it hardly seems feasible that we have been together that long, other days I barely remember my life before him.  Either way I look at it, it’s been an awesome ride that I’m buckled in for and not getting off anytime soon. 

I read an article the other day about a couple born on the same day, eloped in their teens, married for 75 years that died a day apart.  Can you say fate?  That’s just weird, right?   Isn’t this really the best case scenario for any marriage?   Living a long fulfilling life with someone you love that you never have to watch suffer.   75 years of marriage, I hope to make it there one day.  Wouldn’t it be great if there were a formula to follow?    Unfortunately there is no cookie cutter way to make a marriage work.  Every relationship is different, some last the test of time, while others only a few minutes.   With the divorce rate over 50%, the idea of marriage can be daunting.  I say, if it works for you, run with it.  I do feel marriage need to be selfless.  Many marriages stop working because the couple thinks it will always be like when they first met but relationships fizzle out and you have to constantly work at them, like it’s your job.  If it means you have to do things you don’t want to, so be it.   Ah, the things we do for love, that could be its own separate blog entry.  I do know that if you make your marriage a priority and don’t give up, you can make it.
I try not to judge anyone else’s relationship, as you never know the inner workings them.  It has been my observation that the marriages that I thought would last forever, the ones that seemed almost perfect, ended and the ones that seemed to be a crazy match and should never last more than a year are still going.  No rhyme or reason, remember?   If I was to impart my wisdom, the only thing I am certain of is that marriage is hard and takes work; constantly changing and evolving.   However if you choose the right person to be by your side it’s one of the easiest and most remarkable experiences of life.  

Relationships are forever transforming; some for the good, some for the bad, but if you are committed to working together and roll with the punches you can get through anything.  I know that I have chosen the right person to do that with and I knew it 18 years ago, when we met.  Any guy who would volunteer to sit with a girl who was throwing up (clearly from intoxication) for a bus ride all the way from Buffalo to St. Louis, is a keeper.  By the way, I threw up 16 times during that trip and he still married me.   My husband is such a NICE guy; he was the only person that was willing to sit with me.  Fate, who knows?  I knew back then how great he was but I was a little unsure that he was the perfect fit for me, at that time.  What did I know, I was only 18 years old? 
A great quote by Sam Keen says, “We come to love not by finding a perfect person but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly.”  That 18 year old who didn’t think we were the perfect match, might have been right.  He wasn’t perfect but I’m so glad I gave it a try and found out perfect is all in how you look at it.  Perfection is for pin up calendars and chick flicks not for relationships.  When you fall in love you look past all the imperfections and love the hell out of the perfection in front of you, or at least that is what I did.  So my husband burps loud, licks his plate at the dinner table, doesn’t match his clothes right, and isn’t getting calls from Vogue for cover shoots.  He is so much more than a pretty face anyway.  Come to find out perfect is someone that is there for you, holds your hand, attempts to understand you, supports you no matter what, kisses you goodnight, takes care of your children and is committed to you every day.   So if you are still looking for that perfect person, stop and know that perfect isn’t out there.  You have to give someone a chance and see if you can live with all their perfect imperfections.  I consider myself lucky to have found my perfect and I love the hell out of him. 

I would like to say special thank you to my parents and my in-laws for showing us the way.  Your commitment to your marriages hasn’t gone without notice.  Through all your ups and downs you have shown us the importance of the vows that we took 11 years ago.  You have exhibited that there is no such thing as perfect, just hard work and loyalty.  Thanks for being our role models. 
To my best friend and my husband you are my everything. (Too much? I know cheesy, right? Sounds like a Hallmark moment.)  Thank you for being you, not taking life too serious with me and making me smile every single day.  You have given me more than I could have possibly imagined.  Eleven years of marriage down and our love and respect for one another seems stronger than when we first met.  I’m really lucky I choose my best friend to be by my side.  I get to start and end each day with a man that is kind, caring, considerate, easy going, hardworking, supportive, immature and equipped with the best sense of humor anyone could ask for.  That’s really our secret.  He makes me laugh and laugh and laugh. I’ve said it so many times before, laughter is the KEY.  It’s what keeps me going and grounded, in all aspects of my life.   I am so glad I have you by my side, you are the Beavis to my Butthead (yeah, I said it; we really don’t take life too serious …it works for us).   Thank you for seeing the perfect in my imperfections, making me feel like the most beautiful woman in the world and loving all my flaws.  You are a good man and you deserve everything you want out of life and I hope to be by your side for it all. Happy Anniversary.  I love you with all my heart.   The last 11 years of marriage have taught me that it doesn’t matter where you go in life; it’s who is by your side. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment