Tuesday, April 23, 2013

"The expert in anything was once a beginner." - Unknown


 
It’s the time of year, when kids are excited to get outside, run around, get grass stained knees and play baseball.   Tonight we had our first practice, of the season.  My husband and I are doing it yet again, COACHING our daughter’s minor league baseball team.  Only one practice under our belts, and I find myself asking the same question I did last year, what have we gotten ourselves into?  

We have taken on the role of COACH, teaching the fundamentals of baseball.  If only it was that simple.  I can’t count the hats we will wear this season.   We have taken on, the job of parent, of each kid, tying shoes and wiping noses.  We act as a disciplinarian when the kids are sword fighting, with the bats.  We smile in the part of listener, when each kid has a story that never ends, and they must tell you at that very moment.  We act goofy just to keep their attention and do our best to be a comedian.    We are their nurse, placing band aids on boo-boos.   We wear a black and white referee hat when a kid wrestles with his own teammate, for the ball.  Oh, the hats coaches wear.
It is my opinion that coaching and dealing with other people’s children might be one of the most challenging and rewarding things a parent can do.   I suppose that is why we do it.  Coaching little kids sometimes feels like herding cats.  The reward comes when you see that kid hit the ball for the first time and run to first base with a huge smile across their face.  It’s the moments of innocence when a kid doesn’t know how to put on their glove or how to stand in the batter’s box. 

Coaches mold kids into who they will be, in the future.  This season, when I wonder what we have gotten ourselves into, I will remind myself of a saying I read.  “The expert in anything was once a beginner. “  So I’ll continue to have my patience pushed to its limits and be the most positive influence I know how to be.  I hope to have an outstanding baseball season as mom, disciplinarian, listener, comedian, nurse, referee and COACH.  A job with that many hats must be important.  

No comments:

Post a Comment