Saturday, May 4, 2013

"Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened." - Dr. Seuss


When I look back at my life, I think of the things I’ve accomplished;  the fun, the experiences, the places I’ve gone and all the milestones I’ve had, in my 36 years.  Through most of it, there was someone there to experience it with me.   I’m not talking about one person; I’m talking about my countless friends, family and acquaintances I’ve had throughout my days.  While some of these people are still part of my life, and will always be, many others are no longer part of it.   Individuals come in and out of our lives, all the time.  Some stay a long time and others only stop for a quick visit.

One of the things that troubles me is when I think about the people who have had an impact on my life, no matter how trivial, that are no longer in it and I know I will probably never have anything to do with ever again.  When I really consider it, the list is long.  It’s mind-blowing how many people come into our lives, change the trajectory, and give us fantastic memories to keep with us.  Ever wonder if those people know how much of an influence they had on our lives? 
My favorite author, Dr. Seuss said, “Don’t cry because it’s over.  Smile because it happened.”  Instead of fretting about a falling out you had with a family member, a friend that you just lost touch with, or someone that was taken from you too soon.  Remember the incredible times you shared with those people.  Remember those moments that have shaped your life into what it is now.  Maybe that somebody was only supposed to be in your life, for a flash in time.  Cherish those times, clear your mind and be ready for different moments with new folks in different places. 

Let’s do our best to look back at our recollections with a smile because they happened and not with sadness because they are done.  Search for those moments that have made us who are, enjoy the moments with those in our lives right now, before they too become only memories.  Individuals come in to our lives every day, some stick around and some only stay for a short visit.  Know there must be a reason.  Take time to reflect and realize how many people impact our lives.  Do you think there is someone, in the world, who is thinking about you and smiles at the memories you were part of, because they happened?

No comments:

Post a Comment